Tuesday 8 January 2013

Purple Prettiness Wedding Cake



I cannot believe it’s taken me so long to blog this cake, time has certainly flown recently! Either way, many months ago, my sister Katie put my name forward to a colleague of hers who was looking for a wedding cake baker; I had a tasting and designing meeting with the lovely Vickie and Paul, and in November their special day arrived! This was the first wedding cake I have made, and the process was somewhat nerve wracking (I really didn’t want Vickie to have a mess of a cake after trusting me!) but I quickly got into the flow of baking and decorating.  
                                          Here are all the tiers when they were plain pure white
I made a very nervy trip to Bristol with four decorated tiers boxed up and surrounded by duvets, pillows, towels and all other available soft and protective materials in the boot of my Mum’s car, with both of us cursing at every bump and sharp turn we came across. Though it was rainy and nasty we made it to Katie’s flat in good time, the assembly station for the cake, and got all of the tiers safely up the many stairs to the thankfully spacious breakfast bar where they would be staying for the night. The cake’s only disaster happened at this point, the fondant mystically gained a worrying stickiness- I panicked completely but luckily, with the aid of a wondrous dehumidifier, the cakes were returned to their original dry loveliness.
                                                     being carefully stacked and secured

I stacked the cakes in two pairs, ready for transport, and we headed off to the venue, with Katie and I grasping weighty boxes as we headed off precariously through the Mendips- a nervy drive but one that went well in the end. Here’s the finished cake, and I’ll give you a rundown of the cake and decor
                                          All finished and under a very helpfully placed spotlight!
The bottom tier was 12 inches, chocolate with chocolate buttercream; the second was 10 inches, light fruit cake with cinnamon buttercream; third was an 8 inch coffee cake with coffee buttercream; and the top tier was a 6 inch lemon sponge with lemon buttercream. They were all covered with white fondant, had a lace trim, a central border of (for want of a better word) squiggly piping; and an upper border of large lilac and small purple buttons moulded in white chocolate. The cakes were dusted with pearl lustre, the third tier adorned with a wide purple ribbon and brooch. The final touches were three white and lilac fondant roses on top and white diamante beading around the bottom tier.

This cake definitely had the groom’s touch, at Paul’s request I hid ‘Spurs’ in the piping on the third tier!

I was extremely grateful to this lovely couple for trusting me with such an important cake, and happily I was assured that they and their guests enjoyed the final product!

Hayley x 

No comments:

Post a Comment